WORRY WARTS AND NIGHT BEASTIES

Because of my upcoming trio show "Je dors" in early 2013, I am particularly preoccupied with the theme of sleep, actively reflecting on its elements and making associations. 

Worry warts and night beasties visit after the lights are out in anticipation of a good night's sleep.  How many of us lie there, our eyes wide as if stretched open by toothpicks, replaying some drivel over and over?

Sneak a peak at humanity in the wee hours of the morning. It's easy to recognize those that have had an unwanted visit by a bunch of annoying little fiends.

I'm not a morning person, never fully awake and functioning until 10:00 a.m. I get up at six, turn around in circles, so it takes me forever to get ready. Work begins early but I'm on autopilot.  The whole experience of waking before the sun comes up is positively barbaric in my opinion, but add to that a haunting by assorted night time "agents provocateurs" and the day is shot!

Some fly and others crawl onto the bed. Nearly all of them have long pointy teeth and buzz about like overweight mosquitoes. They keep reminding me of what I am trying to forget.  These brain beasties are not contributing to any type of problem resolution. The activity is reminiscent of a record player needle that gets stuck in the groove of a 45 record.  

I get up, have a bowl of porridge, and watch a boring 20 minute infomercial on the boob tube.  Amazingly, the minute the lights go on the varmints fade and eventually disappear.

Worry warts on the other hand, consume a person whether the lights are on or off. They tend to grow really big at night, shrink a tad during the day but overall,  make a problem seem bigger than it is and as a consequence, disrupt concentration. Like psychic tumours, they can make a person's life a living hell.  

My solution is to draw the warts as they sprout!  I erase them and although a trace may be left behind, the act of removal is a cathartic one. BEGONE YE WARTS OF WORRY!

Ahhhhhhhhhh!  To dream at last!

Comments